Brett Somers, MIT-Stanford VLAB EdTech forum, started out Digital Kids Edu with an introduction to the disruption currently taking place in the educational technology market. His insights opened the floor for speakers and panelists to address some of the hottest issues educators are facing in the industry today.
Beth Bletcherman, Founder/Editor & Chief Technology Mom, TechMamas.com, did an outstanding job moderating a panel on emerging platforms and technologies in early education. She engaged the audience with a list of top ten trends affecting educators before panelists shared their insights, experiences and future expectations for harnessing new technologies as educational tools.
On the Digital Kids Edu “Creation over Consumption & How to Plan for the Future” panel, speakers really dug beyond the surface of developing exciting, engaging, research-based digital products. One major challenge they noted the industry faces is distribution and scalability.
The following day, Digital Kids Summit kicked off with a look into the trends and numbers behind digital media and entertainment. Later in the morning, speaker Lance Priebe, Co-Founder, Hyper Hippo, covered a unique game development angle. The audience tuned in as Priebe, a founding member and creative mind behind Disney’s Club Penguin success, discussed the importance designing web and app gaming experiences that keep both parents and kids as consumers in mind.
Near the end of the day, attendees were excited to hear from investor Justin Caldbeck as he shared what he looks for in a digital entertainment products for kids. He did a wonderful job of highlighting the “why now” question investors ask themselves. What about the market timing today makes a product different than at any other time? Venture Capitalists are interested in products that fit with a large addressable market, offer engaging ways to solve a problem and demonstrate high growth and potential for growth.
Throughout both events, attendees enjoyed the small feel and clever theme of the Children’s Creativity Museum as they networked with each other and participated in sessions. Many noted that they enjoyed the depth of the speaker discussions as well as the quality of attendees at both events. Session layouts led to a focused environment where companies of all sizes in children’s digital entertainment and learning could take away what they needed to build and improve their businesses.
KidsWire looks forward to continuing the conversation in New York, February 17-19, 2014, at its 8th annual Digital Kids Conference and first Digital Kids Toys, Learning, and Play event, which is a consumer-focused iteration of Digital Kids Edu. Both events will take place at the Javits center.
Shining a spotlight on digital media and toys, these upcoming events take place at the Jacob K. Javits Center, co-located with the American International Toy Fair. Mark your calendars now: http://digitalkidscon.com/register/
- Movile Adds 13 New Series to PlayKids TV and Sets Sights on Global Expansion
- Club Penguin Co-Creator Lance Priebe Shares Journey to Mech Mice Launch
- New Disney Technology Allows You to ‘Feel’ Touchscreen Images
- Amazon Launches New Program for Developers
- App Annie Expands Analytics & Market Data Platform to eBook Realm
- Magic Light Pictures Launches First Mobile App
- 2013 Digital Kids Edu and Summit Audio MP3 Files Released
- Digital Kids Summit and Digital Kids Edu Speaker Presentations Now Available
- Skylanders Opens the Magical Skylands World to YouTube in New Boomcast Webisodes
- Baby Bytes and Precision Development Partner to Create App Suite for Families with Young Children
- Digital Kids Fall Events Wrap Up
- Lil’Stylers Launches Kids Fashion App
- TribePlay’s Dr. Panda App Series Surpasses 10M Downloads
- Candy Crush Publisher King Files U.S. IPO Valued at $5b & Hires New Chief Financial Officer
- Cupcake Digital and Zodiak Kids Launch First Tickety Toc Story App Experience
- ClickN Kids Introduces Tablet Featuring Looney Tunes Phonics Program
- Foothill Entertainment and Kidobi Enter Digital Distribution Partnership
- Hasbro and PlayDate Digital Introduce My Little Pony Digital Book App
- Toca Boca Launches Toca Cars
- Fingerprint Expands Mobile Edutainment Platform to Malaysia