Despite the common idea that children are preoccupied with video and online gaming, mired in digital routines that sometimes exclude real-world exploration and imagination, Kid Bunch and Touchstone Research, Inc. have released a study showing that today’s youngsters hope to explore and learn about the real world, science, technology and space exploration. The study shows that these children demonstrate real-world exploration interest both at school and through fun and educational digital apps.
Overall, only 25% of kids feel they’ve learned a lot about space exploration in school. Adults realize importance of science in their kids’ lives and the potential for “stealth learning,” or using technology to engage and involve kids while they learn , with 80% of parents agreeing that there needs to be more quality educational material for kids on mobile devices.
Coinciding with this need, the study found that 2/3 of kids and parents would download a mobile app that combined digital gaming with learning about space science and the Apollo 11 mission. 90% of kids believe STEM (Science, Tech, Engineering, Math) learning subjects to be very important in education today.
As a way to combine interest in digital and real-world learning, the study suggests that learning-while-gaming apps just might be the middle ground for enhanced STEM education that kids and parents want.
- Movile Adds 13 New Series to PlayKids TV and Sets Sights on Global Expansion
- Club Penguin Co-Creator Lance Priebe Shares Journey to Mech Mice Launch
- New Disney Technology Allows You to ‘Feel’ Touchscreen Images
- Amazon Launches New Program for Developers
- App Annie Expands Analytics & Market Data Platform to eBook Realm
- Magic Light Pictures Launches First Mobile App
- 2013 Digital Kids Edu and Summit Audio MP3 Files Released
- Digital Kids Summit and Digital Kids Edu Speaker Presentations Now Available
- Skylanders Opens the Magical Skylands World to YouTube in New Boomcast Webisodes
- Baby Bytes and Precision Development Partner to Create App Suite for Families with Young Children
- Digital Kids Fall Events Wrap Up
- Lil’Stylers Launches Kids Fashion App
- TribePlay’s Dr. Panda App Series Surpasses 10M Downloads
- Candy Crush Publisher King Files U.S. IPO Valued at $5b & Hires New Chief Financial Officer
- Cupcake Digital and Zodiak Kids Launch First Tickety Toc Story App Experience
- ClickN Kids Introduces Tablet Featuring Looney Tunes Phonics Program
- Foothill Entertainment and Kidobi Enter Digital Distribution Partnership
- Hasbro and PlayDate Digital Introduce My Little Pony Digital Book App
- Toca Boca Launches Toca Cars
- Fingerprint Expands Mobile Edutainment Platform to Malaysia