The Hong Kong and Taipei-based startup is now seeking funding on Kickstarter for its first stuffed animal, a pink rabbit named TuTu that comes with touch-screen accessories for iPhones and iPod Touches.
Rather than serving as just a mobile device holder, the TuTu app and toy was designed to give children in the digital age a more engaging way to interact with mobile devices.
“I love video games, everyone in my family is a hardcore gamer–my wife, my sister, all the females in my family,” said Roam & Wander founder Jason Warren. As a father, Warren became concerned about the amount of time his daughter and her friends spend on tablets and smartphones.
“They didn’t have a strong connection to physical games. They were literally living in a digital world,” said Warren. “I didn’t feel that was super healthy, so I thought there has to be a way to use the creative canvas provided by smartphones and embed them in toys to make them more fun and engaging.”
Using an iPhone or iPod Touch, children can power the facial expressions of TuTu and play with her by using a set of plastic toy with touch-enabled sensors such as a milk box, carrot and toothbrush, according to TechCrunch. Kids can also groom and rock TuTu to sleep, interacting with the toy’s motion sensors.
When TuTu is in her dream state, kids can then play a series of games and learn more of the bunny’s story.
- Movile Adds 13 New Series to PlayKids TV and Sets Sights on Global Expansion
- Club Penguin Co-Creator Lance Priebe Shares Journey to Mech Mice Launch
- New Disney Technology Allows You to ‘Feel’ Touchscreen Images
- Amazon Launches New Program for Developers
- App Annie Expands Analytics & Market Data Platform to eBook Realm
- Magic Light Pictures Launches First Mobile App
- 2013 Digital Kids Edu and Summit Audio MP3 Files Released
- Digital Kids Summit and Digital Kids Edu Speaker Presentations Now Available
- Skylanders Opens the Magical Skylands World to YouTube in New Boomcast Webisodes
- Baby Bytes and Precision Development Partner to Create App Suite for Families with Young Children
- Digital Kids Fall Events Wrap Up
- Lil’Stylers Launches Kids Fashion App
- TribePlay’s Dr. Panda App Series Surpasses 10M Downloads
- Candy Crush Publisher King Files U.S. IPO Valued at $5b & Hires New Chief Financial Officer
- Cupcake Digital and Zodiak Kids Launch First Tickety Toc Story App Experience
- ClickN Kids Introduces Tablet Featuring Looney Tunes Phonics Program
- Foothill Entertainment and Kidobi Enter Digital Distribution Partnership
- Hasbro and PlayDate Digital Introduce My Little Pony Digital Book App
- Toca Boca Launches Toca Cars
- Fingerprint Expands Mobile Edutainment Platform to Malaysia