Penguin and creative advertising agency Bartle Bogle Hegarty (BBH) have partnered to launch a new web app called Storytime Hangout. The app combines Google Hangouts with the “Three Billy Goats Gruff” children’s story.
Using Storytime Hangout, children, friends and family members can act out characters from the book on their web cams. Those who join the hangout click on the face of the book character they would like to play before starting the story.
Children then click through the pages of the story, reading it allowed so everyone in the group can be involved. As children act out their characters, the app takes a snapshot of their webcam with a layer of the actual character’s face over the child’s face to bring the story to life.
“The experience of reading with children is so much more than just the text and the pictures on the page,” Anna Rafferty, MD of Penguin Digital said. “It’s the sound effects, the voices and the funny faces pulled when acting out a character that make it magical – and this app does that in a new and exciting way.”
View the video below to learn more:
Check out the video below to get a feel for how it all works:
Developed by BBH London, Storytime Hangout features only one story at this point. BBH plans to develop other Penguin children’s books on Storytime in the future.
- Movile Adds 13 New Series to PlayKids TV and Sets Sights on Global Expansion
- Club Penguin Co-Creator Lance Priebe Shares Journey to Mech Mice Launch
- New Disney Technology Allows You to ‘Feel’ Touchscreen Images
- Amazon Launches New Program for Developers
- App Annie Expands Analytics & Market Data Platform to eBook Realm
- Magic Light Pictures Launches First Mobile App
- 2013 Digital Kids Edu and Summit Audio MP3 Files Released
- Digital Kids Summit and Digital Kids Edu Speaker Presentations Now Available
- Skylanders Opens the Magical Skylands World to YouTube in New Boomcast Webisodes
- Baby Bytes and Precision Development Partner to Create App Suite for Families with Young Children
- Digital Kids Fall Events Wrap Up
- Lil’Stylers Launches Kids Fashion App
- TribePlay’s Dr. Panda App Series Surpasses 10M Downloads
- Candy Crush Publisher King Files U.S. IPO Valued at $5b & Hires New Chief Financial Officer
- Cupcake Digital and Zodiak Kids Launch First Tickety Toc Story App Experience
- ClickN Kids Introduces Tablet Featuring Looney Tunes Phonics Program
- Foothill Entertainment and Kidobi Enter Digital Distribution Partnership
- Hasbro and PlayDate Digital Introduce My Little Pony Digital Book App
- Toca Boca Launches Toca Cars
- Fingerprint Expands Mobile Edutainment Platform to Malaysia