Former Punky Brewster actress Soleil Moon Frye and former IAC executive Kara Nortman launched their new startup company, Moonfrye today. The co-founders secured $2.5 million in funding led by GRP Partners with participation from Greycroft, Daher Capital, and Google Ventures.
Nortman is the Chief Executive Officer and Frye is the Chief Creative Officer of the venture. Advisors include some of Silicon Valley’s biggest luminaries including Dan Rosensweig , Tim Ferriss , Randi Zuckerberg , Gina Bianchini , Erik Lammerding and Rick Marini .
The company will focus on the crafting and DIY market by bringing creative experiences to families both online and offline with a mobile app launching this summer. The startup uses business model based on providing a mobile-to-real-world experience for parents and their children. Specific details of the project have yet to be released.
“There’s a restored interest in craftsmanship and DIY. It’s a refreshing change from the reliance on ready-made goods,” said Kevin Rose , General Partner at Google Ventures. “Combining real world experiences with digital tools creates a lot of interesting possibilities when put in the hands of moms and families, and Soleil and Kara have an inspiring vision to bring that to life.”
Before launching Moonfrye.com, Soleil co-founded the first eco friendly baby store in LA, The Little Seed, and designed a product line for Target. She is currently “Target’s Mommy Ambassador” as well as a regular contributor to The Today Show. Frye advises on a handful of tech companies and has authored two books, “Happy Chaos,” and “Let’s Get This Party Started,” a party planning book filled with crafts, recipes, fun, and affordable DIY ideas for parents, due to be released by Abrams in October.
Nortman most recently ran IAC-owned Citygrid Media’s Consumer Businesses (Citysearch, and Urbanspoon) which serves 35 million consumers per month. Prior to that, Nortman served as IAC’s Vice President of Mergers and Acquisitions.
- Movile Adds 13 New Series to PlayKids TV and Sets Sights on Global Expansion
- Club Penguin Co-Creator Lance Priebe Shares Journey to Mech Mice Launch
- New Disney Technology Allows You to ‘Feel’ Touchscreen Images
- Amazon Launches New Program for Developers
- App Annie Expands Analytics & Market Data Platform to eBook Realm
- Magic Light Pictures Launches First Mobile App
- 2013 Digital Kids Edu and Summit Audio MP3 Files Released
- Digital Kids Summit and Digital Kids Edu Speaker Presentations Now Available
- Skylanders Opens the Magical Skylands World to YouTube in New Boomcast Webisodes
- Baby Bytes and Precision Development Partner to Create App Suite for Families with Young Children
- Digital Kids Fall Events Wrap Up
- Lil’Stylers Launches Kids Fashion App
- TribePlay’s Dr. Panda App Series Surpasses 10M Downloads
- Candy Crush Publisher King Files U.S. IPO Valued at $5b & Hires New Chief Financial Officer
- Cupcake Digital and Zodiak Kids Launch First Tickety Toc Story App Experience
- ClickN Kids Introduces Tablet Featuring Looney Tunes Phonics Program
- Foothill Entertainment and Kidobi Enter Digital Distribution Partnership
- Hasbro and PlayDate Digital Introduce My Little Pony Digital Book App
- Toca Boca Launches Toca Cars
- Fingerprint Expands Mobile Edutainment Platform to Malaysia