Rovio Entertainment Ltd today announced plans to bring mobile versions of its Angry Birds Friends Facebook game to iOS and Android devices next month.
For the first time, Angry Birds fans will be able to use their mobile or tablet devices to challenge their Facebook friends in the game’s well-known weekly tournaments for bronze, silver and gold crown. As with the browser-based game, players will be able to gather daily rewards, send and receive gifts with friends and brag about accomplishments.
This news of Rovio’s plans to expand its Angry Birds platform comes on the same day that the company also released its strong 2012 financial results.
In 2012 Rovio launched four games: Angry Birds Space, Amazing Alex, Bad Piggies and Angry Birds Star Wars. The new titles catapulted the total number of Rovio game downloads to more than 1 billion in May 2012 and the total number of active monthly users, across all platforms, to 263 million in December, 2012.
Also reporting a strong start for 2013, Mikael Hed, Rovio CEO said, “In addition to our successful games portfolio we recently launched our first Angry Birds Toons series through third party partners and our own in-game distribution channel. We will continue to strengthen our position in the entertainment business through continuing to innovate on our existing brands, exploring creating new IP as well as exploring opportunities with external parties.”
The company said that its future business will largely depend on the success of new game launches, such as Angry Birds Friends, as well as the its ability to keep fans engaged with Rovio content in 2013.
- Movile Adds 13 New Series to PlayKids TV and Sets Sights on Global Expansion
- Club Penguin Co-Creator Lance Priebe Shares Journey to Mech Mice Launch
- New Disney Technology Allows You to ‘Feel’ Touchscreen Images
- Amazon Launches New Program for Developers
- App Annie Expands Analytics & Market Data Platform to eBook Realm
- Magic Light Pictures Launches First Mobile App
- 2013 Digital Kids Edu and Summit Audio MP3 Files Released
- Digital Kids Summit and Digital Kids Edu Speaker Presentations Now Available
- Skylanders Opens the Magical Skylands World to YouTube in New Boomcast Webisodes
- Baby Bytes and Precision Development Partner to Create App Suite for Families with Young Children
- Digital Kids Fall Events Wrap Up
- Lil’Stylers Launches Kids Fashion App
- TribePlay’s Dr. Panda App Series Surpasses 10M Downloads
- Candy Crush Publisher King Files U.S. IPO Valued at $5b & Hires New Chief Financial Officer
- Cupcake Digital and Zodiak Kids Launch First Tickety Toc Story App Experience
- ClickN Kids Introduces Tablet Featuring Looney Tunes Phonics Program
- Foothill Entertainment and Kidobi Enter Digital Distribution Partnership
- Hasbro and PlayDate Digital Introduce My Little Pony Digital Book App
- Toca Boca Launches Toca Cars
- Fingerprint Expands Mobile Edutainment Platform to Malaysia