Following this week’s news that it had partnered with Wizards of the Coast to bring table top game series Dungeons & Dragons to iOS devices, Playdek announced today that it has raised $3.8 million in Series A funding.
Qualcomm Incorporated led the funding round through its venture investment group, Qualcomm Ventures. Other investments came from IDG Ventures, ff Venture Capital, Deep Fork Capital, Greycroft Partners, Jarl Mohn and angel investors.
The digital table top gaming publisher and developer will use the capital to enhance digital hobby games and develop a hobby gamer community and online platform.
One digital hobby game that will benefit from this funding is Playdek’s upcoming Agricola app, based on the table top Agricola strategy board game. The company aims to set the bar higher for digital hobby games with this app.
With its developing hobby gamer community, set to launch later this year, Playdek will unite dedicated hobby gamers in one space where they can access the company’s digital table top games. Its community platform will offer events and tournaments and give gamers “that ‘around the table’ feeling in the digital realm,” as Playdek CEO, Joeal Goodman put it.
“Playdek gives gamers what they want – compelling online games based on the franchises they know and love,” John Frankel, ff Venture Capital said.
This latest funding round along with Playdek’s future development plans highlight the growing digital gaming market. The company will certainly be one to watch in the digital space this year.
- Movile Adds 13 New Series to PlayKids TV and Sets Sights on Global Expansion
- Club Penguin Co-Creator Lance Priebe Shares Journey to Mech Mice Launch
- New Disney Technology Allows You to ‘Feel’ Touchscreen Images
- Amazon Launches New Program for Developers
- App Annie Expands Analytics & Market Data Platform to eBook Realm
- Magic Light Pictures Launches First Mobile App
- 2013 Digital Kids Edu and Summit Audio MP3 Files Released
- Digital Kids Summit and Digital Kids Edu Speaker Presentations Now Available
- Skylanders Opens the Magical Skylands World to YouTube in New Boomcast Webisodes
- Baby Bytes and Precision Development Partner to Create App Suite for Families with Young Children
- Digital Kids Fall Events Wrap Up
- Lil’Stylers Launches Kids Fashion App
- TribePlay’s Dr. Panda App Series Surpasses 10M Downloads
- Candy Crush Publisher King Files U.S. IPO Valued at $5b & Hires New Chief Financial Officer
- Cupcake Digital and Zodiak Kids Launch First Tickety Toc Story App Experience
- ClickN Kids Introduces Tablet Featuring Looney Tunes Phonics Program
- Foothill Entertainment and Kidobi Enter Digital Distribution Partnership
- Hasbro and PlayDate Digital Introduce My Little Pony Digital Book App
- Toca Boca Launches Toca Cars
- Fingerprint Expands Mobile Edutainment Platform to Malaysia