Pluto Media, a tablet edutainment company for kids, today announced that it secured $500K in seed funding from education and technology-focused venture capitalist groups including Rob Hutter of Learn Capital along with individual investments from NewSchool Venture Fund’s Jennifer Carolan and YouWeb’s co-founder, Peter Relan. This latest round of investments brings the company’s total funding to $1 million, as it follows an earlier $500K in seed funding that the company acquired from investors such as former Accel partner Abhay Parekh and Dave Roux of of Silver Lake in December 2011.
Pluto media plans to use the funding to expand its Pluto Learns Piano app into a “learn, create, share” educational platform, featuring creative classroom subjects starting with music. Young learners on the expanded platform will have the opportunity to learn instruments, create their own music and then share it with friends on iOS devices.
“By teaming up with such a diverse group of investors including top education funds, we can make a big dent in the growing edutainment market and change the way children learn, beginning at a young age, providing a fun experience with real-life results,” says Pluto Media founder Luis Sampedro.
The company’s free Pluto Learns Piano app brings kids scrolling gameplay features combined with musical notes and a full multi-touch “player piano,” inspiring musical creativity and excitement about the subject in young learners’ minds.
Coming from a highly musical background, Sampedro sees the potential digital platforms have to change the way educators expose children to music and creative learning.
“If you look at education and education technology, there seems to be a focus on core learning subjects such as math and science. From a business standpoint and from my own creative experiences, I am interested in creative subjects like music and want to nurture creativity and creative exploration in children,” Sampedro says. “Music and art are also important in a quickly changing digital world, and I am excited to announce our latest round of funding, which will help us empower kids to be more creative on a platform where they can create and share their own musical content.”
Pluto Media is a product of Perter Relan’s YouWeb. Sampedro joined YouWeb in 2012 and founded Pluto Learns Piano in December 2011.
- Movile Adds 13 New Series to PlayKids TV and Sets Sights on Global Expansion
- Club Penguin Co-Creator Lance Priebe Shares Journey to Mech Mice Launch
- New Disney Technology Allows You to ‘Feel’ Touchscreen Images
- Amazon Launches New Program for Developers
- App Annie Expands Analytics & Market Data Platform to eBook Realm
- Magic Light Pictures Launches First Mobile App
- 2013 Digital Kids Edu and Summit Audio MP3 Files Released
- Digital Kids Summit and Digital Kids Edu Speaker Presentations Now Available
- Skylanders Opens the Magical Skylands World to YouTube in New Boomcast Webisodes
- Baby Bytes and Precision Development Partner to Create App Suite for Families with Young Children
- Digital Kids Fall Events Wrap Up
- Lil’Stylers Launches Kids Fashion App
- TribePlay’s Dr. Panda App Series Surpasses 10M Downloads
- Candy Crush Publisher King Files U.S. IPO Valued at $5b & Hires New Chief Financial Officer
- Cupcake Digital and Zodiak Kids Launch First Tickety Toc Story App Experience
- ClickN Kids Introduces Tablet Featuring Looney Tunes Phonics Program
- Foothill Entertainment and Kidobi Enter Digital Distribution Partnership
- Hasbro and PlayDate Digital Introduce My Little Pony Digital Book App
- Toca Boca Launches Toca Cars
- Fingerprint Expands Mobile Edutainment Platform to Malaysia